25 to 30 minutes
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Instant Yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Melted butter OR margarine (optional)
- Combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt in a large mixer bowl.
- Heat milk, water, and 1/4 cup butter until very warm (120° to 130°F). Add to flour mixture.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in walnuts and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into 8-inch square. Roll into loaves.
- Place 2 rolls, side by side, in each of 2 greased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pans. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Brush with melted butter, if desired.