White Cornbread with Chilies
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 1 cup white corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Instant Yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups very warm buttermilk (120° to 130°F)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hot banana peppers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- Melt butter in a 10-inch heavy cast iron skillet over low heat. Rotate the skillet slightly to coat the sides. Set aside.
- Combine corn meal, flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add buttermilk, egg, peppers and onion; stir until well mixed. Pour into skillet.
- Cover the skillet and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 30 minutes or until almost doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake the bread for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.