Chocolate Hazelnut Cinnamon Rolls
- For the dough
- 4 - 4 1/2 cups cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 packets Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Instant Yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
For the filling
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
For the icing
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup hazelnut spread
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Milk as needed
- Butter a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together 2 cups flour, cocoa powder, sugar, yeast, and salt.
- Combine water and butter in a bowl or liquid measuring cup and microwave for 20 seconds at a time until butter is mostly melted. (The water should be very warm but not too hot to touch).
- Add water mixture and egg to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add flour 1/4 cup at a time, until dough just starts to come together in a ball. (It will still be quite sticky, but you should be able to handle the dough with floured hands.)
- With floured hands, transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for 4-6 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into a large flat rectangle (about 15x10 inches).
- Spread softened butter all over the dough. Stir together cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle all over the buttered dough.
- Beginning with the long side of the rectangle, roll tightly to the opposite side and pinch the seam to seal.
- Use a sharp knife (or dental floss!) to cut dough into 12 equal-sized sections.
- Arrange cinnamon rolls cut-side-down in the buttered baking pan.
- Cover tightly and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-35 minutes until no longer doughy. Cool on wire rack at least 20 minutes.
- Prepare the icing by whipping the butter (with a whisk or electric hand mixer) for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Mix in 2 cups powdered sugar.
- Add hazelnut spread and salt and cream together until completely incorporated. Add remaining powdered sugar and milk, one tablespoon at a time, until icing is smooth and easily spreadable.
- Spread icing over cinnamon rolls and serve.