Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls
Get all the classic spices of a festive gingerbread in a cinnamon roll, topped with cream cheese frosting.
Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls
1 hour 10 minutes
- 4-½–5 cups flour, divided
- 2 packets Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Instant Yeast (4-½ teaspoons)
- 1-½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-½ cups milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 7 tablespoons softened butter
Cream Cheese Icing
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1-½ cup powdered sugar
For the Dough:
- Grease and line a 9" x 13" baking dish with parchment paper.
- Whisk together 2 cups of the flour, yeast, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg.
- Combine the milk, butter, and molasses in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments until mixture is between 120°F and 130°F.
- Add the warmed milk mixture and the egg to the dry mixture, and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add 2 more cups of the flour, and mix with a wooden spoon. The mixture should be thick and sticky.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough with another ½ cup of flour. Knead until dough is smooth, soft and tacky (can add an additional ½ cup flour, if necessary).
- Let dough rest, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
For the Filling:
- Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and softened butter. Mix into a paste.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface into a 22" x 13" rectangle.
- Spread filling evenly over the dough, leaving a half-inch strip at the top edge without filling (the 22" side).
- Brush a small amount of water along the uncovered strip using your fingers.
- Roll up dough. Using unflavored dental floss, cut into 12 even rolls.
- Place rolls into the prepared baking dish and cover it with a clean dish towel, let rise for 1 hour (until roughly doubled in size). While rolls rise, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake rolls for about 30 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned.
- For the cream cheese icing, using a hand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and salt, and mix to combine. Add the powdered sugar slowly until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Once rolls have cooled, drizzle icing over the top.
Bake It For:
You can spoon icing over the top of the rolls, or switch to a piping bag to create a beautiful swirl on top. Don’t have a piping bag? Just spoon the icing into a plastic zip-top bag and snip off the corner to achieve the same effect.